12.12.13

HOW DO I KNOW MY HAIR TYPE?

Hello beautiful people, so today we would be looking at the hair typing system and what it's all about. The hair typing system is just a way various hair textures are grouped based on their curl patterns. Curl patterns range from very straight to tight kinky coily/zigzag and range in scale from type 1 for the straight hair to type 4C for kinky hair. Every hair type require certain care regimen and products.

Natural kinky hair ranges from type 3A to 4C and most women from this part of the world (West Africa) tend to have hair within this category. I have 4C hair and most ladies I have seen in Nigeria have this type of hair texture. The 4C hair texture has strands of tightly kinked up coils that shrink about 70% it's original length when in contact with any form of moisture.

I can hardly say that there are specific natural hair products for specific hair types. The reason is because I have found that although I may seem to have the same hair texture with someone, some of the products that work for them may not work for me. For instance, it's been said that raw Shea Butter is good for kinky hair and that it softens natural kinky hair. Well for me that does not work, raw Shea Butter makes my hair feel like hay, lol. My hair hates it in any form, raw, whipped or processed. At first I thought I was buying adulterated versions but my last attempt proved to me that my hair does not just like it. Every head of hair is different from the next, there might be similarities but one needs to study their own head of hair to determine what ways are best for caring for their hair.

4 comments:

  1. This was so helpful. Like I just turned natural and have been trying to find the right products so knowing this helps a lot . Am from Ghana, west Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so helpful. Like I just turned natural and have been trying to find the right products so knowing this helps a lot . Am from Ghana, west Africa.

    ReplyDelete