20.6.13

My thoughts on "AMERICANAH" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I wanted to do an original book review on AMERICANAH. But some days of research revealed that "BOOK REVIEW NO BE BEANS, lol!! I really wanted to share my reading experience with you guys. So while doing my research, I found these quick book review questions on a website called askville.amazon.com. I know this is a bit lazy of me, but wetin man go do na? Anyway here we go jare.



What is the title of the book?

AMERICANAH

Who is the author of the book?

CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE

Did you love the book?

 I loved, loved, loved the book, the characters in the book are so typical. At some point, while reading the book, I felt like jumping in and becoming one of the characters. That’s how much I loved it.

What is the story about?

This is a story about love, race and of course natural hair.

Who were the main characters?

The main characters of the story were Ifemelu and her first love, Obinze.

What is their story, did they have adventures?

Ifemelu leaves her first love behind to another country and experiences a world very different from the world she is used to. As a result, she went through a lot of life molding experiences, transforming her into a totally different version of herself. At some point, towards the end of the book, I could hardly relate the Ifemelu of the end to the Ifemelu of the beginning!!! I wondered if I were reading about the same person.
Obinze, the Nigerian boy with dreams bigger than Nigeria. Who goes through his own experiences that altered his dreams and aspirations. However, unlike Ifemelu, he did not allow the experiences of life transform his original personality.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Don't you just love her hair?


Who was your favorite character in the story?

My favorite character in the story was Ifemelu. I totally relate to most of her triumphs and frustrations in life.

What was your favorite part of the book?

My favorite part of the book was Ifemelu’s relationship with Curt, lol. I had a smile on my face in that whole part of the book.

If you could change the book, what would it be?

If I could change the book, I think I will change the ending. However, I have thought a lot about the ending and concluded that it was quite open. It could be interpreted in so many ways, really.

Would you recommend this book to anybody?

Of course, I was recommending the book before I finished it, lol!! I actually made some of my friends buy it.

What type of person will like this book?

Anybody in the natural hair community, especially in Nigeria, will love this book. Then anybody who is interested in topics relating to the concept of race in America would also love this book.

What book are you going to read next?

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.



 

 

2 comments: